In a nutshell, internet marketing is the act of promoting your business, products or services online. It’s both fun and profitable, if you know what you’re doing. But you can easily lose your shirt if you don’t.
The key to success is attracting people who already want what you have to sell. You do this by providing lots of value based content in your niche such as articles, videos or podcasts.
Doing this will establish your creditability, allow you to become ‘friends’ with your customers, and close sales.
Remember, people only buy from those they know, like, and trust, especially online.
A Few Online Marketing Terms
- web marketing,
- online marketing, or
No matter what you call it, internet marketing is simple but not easy. Contrary to much of what you’ve been told on TV or in online ads, running a successful online home business requires you to learn new skills and it takes a lot of hard work.
No, the work isn’t difficult but building a business, whether it’s online, or on Main St. requires work, plain and simple. But if you take the time to learn internet marketing and apply yourself, the rewards of creating a home business online are GREAT!
Internet Marketing Channels
- Display Advertising
- The process of placing ads on third-party websites with the goal of creating branding awareness and/or generating traffic
- Examples: Banner ads, video ads, interactive ads, overlays, interstitials, etc.
- Email Marketing
- The process of collecting email addresses from potential leads and marketing to them via email messages
- Examples: Email newsletters, brand building emails, conversion-focused emails, etc.
- Pay-Per-Click Advertising (PPC)
- The process of bidding for placement at search engines (major or niche) to earn visibility and traffic when relevant queries are performed
- Examples: Google Adwords, Yahoo! Search Marketing, Business.com Advertising, etc.
- Online Public Relations
- The process of generating media from primarily online outlets in order to earn branding and traffic
- Examples: PRNewswire, PRWeb, Internet media focused PR agency work, etc.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- The process of earning rankings in the “organic” results of the major search engines (Google, Yahoo!, Bing)
- Examples: Keyword research, on-page optimization, link building, etc.
- Affiliate Marketing
- The process of incentivizing other sites to push your product in exchange for a share of the revenue they drive
- Examples: Commission Junction, in-house affiliate programs, etc.
- Social Media Marketing (SMM)
- The process of leveraging social media platforms (small and large) to earn visibility and traffic
- Examples: Facebook Group pages, Twitter marketing, pushing content on Digg, etc.
- Viral Content Campaigns
- The process of generating creative content that will help spread your branding/marketing message and earn traffic
- Examples: Linkbait production, viral videos, guerrilla marketing, etc.
- Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO)
- The process of improving the path from landing to conversion to get more leads/signups/customers
- Examples: Split & multivariate testing, click-through-rate improvements, purchase-process simplification, etc.
Internet Marketing Courses To Help You
Start An Online Home Business
Internet marketing courses are a great way to educate yourself about the new tools and techniques you need to know and understand for your online home business to be a success.
Let’s face it…
To start an online business and be successful, (or, any type of business, on or offline) you need a plan. You need to come up with an idea of what you want to do online. Do you…
- Want to learn internet marketing so you can turn your hobby into profits?
- Want to be an infopreneur (publish your knowledge about a topic you’re passionate about)?
- Want to sell hard goods (do you have a product you want to sell online)?
- Have a service business that needs more clients?
Whenever you start something new, be it bowling, basket weaving or business, you must learn about all the tools necessary to make your new venture successful.
Starting an online home business is no different. Many people think they can just dive in, slap up a website, and POOF they’ll be rich! Unfortunately, it just doesn’t work that way.
In Fact, Lack Of Education Is The Number One Reason Most New Online Home Businesses Fail!
Please don’t add yourself to this unfortunate statistic. Become educated on what it takes to run a business online. Start out properly, educate yourself, and the rest will fall into place.
That being said, not all internet marketing courses are created equal.
We’ve looked at a LOT of marketing platforms and educational materials put out by a LOT of different marketers. Yes, we’ve spent a bundle figuring all this out so you don’t have to.
After all that reading, listening, building, testing, starting over…here are our favorites:
- The Affiliate Masters Course
- The Service Sellers Masters Course
- WAHM-IT!, The Work At Home Moms Masters Course
Yes, we recommend a lot of SBI “Masters Courses” to help you get started. Why? Because Ken Evoy has been there, done that and has put together all the BEST information in a convenient, downloadable e-book format. And best of all…they’re FREE!
(You can also use the Site Build It Action Guide if you prefer watching videos to reading.)
Starting A Home Business Online
There really is no better place to start your research than with SBI’s Master’s Courses.
You not only get a feel for what it takes to build a successful online home business, you also get someone to walk you step-by-step through the process so you’re never left wondering, “what do I do next?” Because you’ll always know!
With SBI, the training is EXCELLENT and very reasonably priced to boot – it’s FREE! 🙂
There’s NO hype, just good solid information on how to build a successful online home business. This isn’t about getting rich quick, there really is no such thing.
Seriously, if someone tells you, you can get rich overnight, RUN, don’t walk away from them. The only ones who get rich from schemes like that are the ones who are taking people’s money and giving them nothing in return.
Follow the advice in SBI’s step-by-step courses and you can’t go wrong. It’s the best way we’ve found for you to learn all about the tools and techniques that will help you build a successful online home business.
Your Next Step
Let’s take a look at some of the Terms you may come across during your research that may be unfamiliar to you. We’ve defined the most commones ones you’ll need to know.
The most important internet marketing terms you need to know to find the perfect online home business for you.
As with all areas of online business or eBusiness, there are phrases or acronyms associated with each. We explain some of the most common internet marketing terms so you won’t get side tracked in your research.
Your Online Home Business Success
Is Important To Us
By the time you leave our site, you’ll be armed with all the necessary information and tools you need to find your perfect online home business.
Some of these terms may sound intimidating, some you’ll be familiar with but you may not have put them together with an eBusiness, and others you may never have heard of before.
The Most Common Internet Marketing Terms…
- Keywords… words folks type into search engines when they are searching for information. Webmasters put them on web pages so those searching can find the information they are looking for.
- PPC or Pay Per Click… A form of advertising where internet marketers only pay when someone actually clicks on their advertisement.
- Affiliate… Someone who sells a product made by another person for a commission.
- SEO or Search Engine Optimization… Setting up your web pages in a way that is “optimized” for the search engines. Basically making Google like your site.
- WAHM… work at home mom.
- Blog… a form of website that features time sensitive information. Think online newspaper.
- Webmaster… someone who builds a website.
- Server… the type of machine that everything on the web is stored on.
- Web Host… someone who owns, then rents out, or sells space on a server.
- Niche… a small segment of a larger topic.
- Twitter… a micro blogging site where folks share thoughts, comments, ideas, and links of up to 140 characters.
- Tweet… one comment on Twitter.
- Sales Funnel… the pathway your customers will take from first finding you through the close of a sale.
- Alexa Score… a ranking given to a website based on such things as traffic and in-bound links. Useful to advertisers to help evaluate a website.
- Google PR… PR means “page rank.” The higher the PR of a page the more relevant Google thinks it is. In other words the page uses good SEO and is about what it says it’s about.
- Double Opt-In… verifying that you actually did ask for something to be sent to you via email.
If you come across a term in your research that you’re not familiar with, please don’t hesitate to ask us!
So, come along for one last look at the information you need to know to start turning your passion into profit!